Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep

I know - this has been out for some time. Since Christmas, actually, which is when I saw it with my niece. Should have taken her to Enchanted. I was expecting some sweet and predictable E.T.-esque story about a boy and his Loch Ness Monster, where the boy learns that if you love monsters you must set them free to boost the Scottish tourism industry. What I got was armies and depth charges that drive monsters to the brink of insanity sharp-teeth-baring and require the naive love and trust of a small boy to return to its cuddly nature. It was a good movie, I thought, but the preview campaign really truly steered me in the wrong direction as to what to expect. And made me take my niece along for the ride. I asked what she thought, and suggested that it was a bit "darker than I had expected." She agreed that she could barely see in the theatre. (She's young. She's literal. It was my fault for setting her up that way.) Verdict: Movie Rental

No comments: