Monday, March 24, 2008

The Mist

I love the fact that hotels now usually have movies-on-demand ... the only question remains: what do I wish to demand? When I'm kicking back on the bed in my hotel room, I don't wish to have to think about anything too deeply or really even follow along with any plot all that closely. So that leaves a comedy -- but I don't want to chance paying $9 to $12 bucks on top of my hotel bill for one that isn't actually funny -- or a horror movie. Given that I won't be following any plot all that closely, all I need is a few good scares, preferably not too gory of horror, and a bit of catharsis over the fact that what is happening on the screen isn't happening in my hotel room. So, Stephen King's The Mist it is!

I believe the true horror of this movie was meant to be the monsters the townspeople became as they awaited being eaten by the literal monsters, and that transition did provide just as much tension as knowing there was something in The Mist. As far as what is exactly in The Mist ... I think King changed his mind midway through. What attacked them the first time didn't really make sense with what we find out is in The Mist. And how they got in the The Mist ... and what the heck is the point of The Mist ... well, I was sitting in a hotel room, and as such, was personally obligated to not concern myself with such things. But had I gotten in my car, waited to get my tickets at the theatre, sat through the inane screeching of adolescent girls trying to catch the attention of block-headed adolescent boys (were we that useless when we were their age? I say not), and endured endless advertisements before getting overtaken by The Mist -- I may have concerned myself. Verdict: Movie Rental if You Must

No comments: