Sunday, March 30, 2008

In Bruges

Have you ever heard of this movie? Me neither. But when I saw it advertised in the paper starring Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes and Brendan Gleeson, I figured I’d give it my Saturday night.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/

This British/Belgian movie is basically about two hitmen who are told to hide out in a small Belgian town called Bruges after their last job, while they await further instructions from their boss. Sticking to your principles also factors strongly in the "plot", which unfolds at its own pace. Which is to say, slowly. Not knowing what the movie was about before sitting down, I started to assume it was just going to be a leisurely art-film about two hitmen juxtaposed with a quaint Belgian town, then assumed it was about two hitment finding a quaint Belgian town's odd underbelly. But then it started to choose a target. This movie is listed as a crime, comedy, drama – and it is all those things. Its humour is British, its violence is graphic, and its drama is oddly compelling. But I can’t stress enough about how the movie unfolds at a leisurely pace – not un-enjoyably but at times apparently aimlessly. I’m going to come down on the side of saying it is worth finding it in your local theatre or the rental store, and seeing it with an open mind. Just experience it. Don’t expect from it. Verdict: Movie Rental

No comments: