Friday, October 3, 2008

EIFF: [REC]

Hold me, I’m scared. I can’t remember the last movie I watched crouched down in between the theatre seats ahead of me, my hands clasped on either side of my face with my mouth in permanent silent scream position. (Gore quotient = low. Scare factor = high. Disquieting level = holy crap) Part of me wants to see the remake “Quarantine” that is coming out in a few weeks because this was just that good that I’m curious to see it from another angle, but the rest of me wouldn’t want to ruin my experience with this movie by seeing a low-rent polished-up interpretation. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it – and this movie ain’t broke. The creep factor is raised by this movie being Spanish with English subtitles – people screaming in a language I don’t understand adds to the atmosphere that the characters are in a situation they have no explanation for. If you can find it in a theatre near you, I’d say Go Now. I just don’t see how playing it on your tv set can be an adequate substitution. (unless you’re like my brother, who has a dvd system that projects movies onto a screen the size of a billboard – only my brother and people of his ilk may watch this movie in his own home.)

No comments: