Sunday, October 5, 2008

EIFF: Let the Right One In

This is a Swedish movie. That is relevant only because my perception may be coloured by the fact that I don’t see a lot of Swedish movies. Or German, French, Icelandic or Bulgarian movies. I don’t see a lot of foreign movies. So maybe it’s just a matter of my not having similar movies against which to compare this one in tone and delivery. It was interesting. It was original. It was characters watching walls or windows or their own fingers a lot. The main characters, two 12 year olds, were very watchable and compelling. One was a vampire. But in a kind of accepted, understated, life is a Swedish movie kind of way. I spoke to two other people who just adored this movie, its pace and its off-kilter premise. So what do I know?

No comments: