Sunday, October 5, 2008

EIFF: Midnight Meat Train

(This wins my award for hands down best name of a movie at the festival) One of the most horrifically gory movie I’ve ever averted my eyes from, and yet one of my favourites of this year’s festival. The gore never snuck up on me, so I was able to take off my glasses and look to the corner of the theatre so I could still see the fuzzy gist of the action in my periphery without directly exposing my mind to the image. (I’m pretty sure at one point someone got hit so hard in the back of the head that his right eye popped out of his head. Ick!) The rest of the movie was amazingly worth it, though. Interesting, suspenseful and off-centre enough to make it stand heads, shoulders and popped out eyes above the usual unimaginative horror fare.

No comments: