Saturday, August 9, 2008

Mamma Mia!

When I was maybe 10, my best friend and I used to divvy up the songs on ABBA’s Voulez Vous album, taking turns singing the songs to the other, who was acting as the audience, in my best friend's front room. And of course, many hours of rollerskating in a figure-8 in my basement – or, even better, the rollerskating rink in Waterton!

This movie was full of the same kind of giddy childlike amusement. The movie is very goofy camp, and it was lots of fun to watch Meryl, Pierce, Colin and Stellan kick it up and just go with the goof. (Should I admit I actually cried when Meryl sang “The Winner Takes It All”? Probably not.) Unlike Ocean’s 12, which I believe was just made to amuse the stars with no thought or care whether what they made was actually a movie anyone but they would want to see, the stars of Mamma Mia were clearly out of their minds enjoying themselves AND trying to make sure we’re in on the joke. Be prepared to watch the credits. Great, great fun. Verdict: First Run Theatre

No comments: