Monday, September 29, 2008

EIFF: Repo The Genetic Opera

A last minute decision, I think I’m glad I saw this.

It was so wholly and completely not what I would ever have seen if I didn’t have what amounted to a free-pass to it, and was already in the theatre within minutes of the film starting so all I really had to do was sit back down. (Obviously it was well-anticipated by someone: A bunch of goth, tattooed, facial-ringed, black nailpolished creepy someones who I made sure to beat to the parking lot after the movie so I could be safely on the road in my locked car before they slithered by. That said, that is what I like about EIFF: seeing new movies, out of my comfort range movies, opening my horizons movies and just pure luck of the draw movies.)

In a nutshell, the movie is set in a future where people’s organs have been failing, so a megacorporation clues into financing new organs for people; if you fall behind on your payments, however, your organs are repossessed. And it’s a “goth opera”. Anthony Head (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Paul Sorvino (Law and Order), Sarah Brightman (no television series to plug here) and Alexa Vega (shockingly, the sister from the Spy Kids movies ... didn’t recognize her ... wow, did I like her here) play pivotal roles. I enjoyed the music, and the actors named here really sold their performances. (if you’re wondering, as long as Paris Hilton wasn’t lipsynching to someone else’s voice, I’d say she’s adequate here. I noticed she wasn’t ever expected to sing with any of the “heavyweights” in the movie, though, which was probably a purposeful choice). It was kind of a gory, darker, creepier, gothic novel inspired Rocky Horror Picture Show. I can definitely see midnight showings of this movie on college campuses (and squares like me rushing to their cars to burn rubber afterwards).

No comments: