Monday, September 29, 2008

EIFF: Pontypool

This was such an original pleasure to watch, really. A funny, scary pleasure that lost me when it got a bit cerebral near the end, but a pleasure. A town falls victim to ... something. Doesn’t it? Set solely in a radio station slash church basement, we only hear what’s going on. We don’t get to see it. And aren’t our imaginations so much more horror-susceptible than anything a filmmaker can create through angles, makeup and lighting? The “reveal” of the how and why the town is now zombie-fied is where I started slipping away, and the explanation of how to reverse the effects – indeed, whether it’s able to be reversed – is similarly implied rather than confirmed. At least I think it is. At the Q&A after the movie, I wanted to ask the director “Uh ... what just ... uh ... huh?” But that seemed rude. Still, it really got me, so that's a thumbs up in my book.

No comments: