Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sex and The City

Hey, I liked this more than I thought I would! And it was the last movie I can remember where I was surrounded by chicks in the theatre. I'm not a chick movie type of gal, I don't go to chick movies, chick movies hold no interest for me. But this chick movie was up my alley.

I liked the tv show quite a bit, but the finale was such a piece of unfunny downer crap that I assumed the movie would take up the reins of depression. Instead, it was quite enjoyable and laugh out loud funny in parts. At 2.5 hours, though, it could have used some more editing. It moved well up until about the middle, at which point Carrie just kind of sat down and watched the world go by for probably half an hour. Perhaps I wouldn't have minded as much if it wasn't for the fact that she was 12 feet tall with a head the size of a grapefruit and forearms like tree trunks. My friends and I got to the theatre after the previews had already started, and the place was packed (totally surprised me!). The only seats left were in the very front row, so we had to kind of lay back to look up and see the screen. If the action spanned the width of the screen, we were kind of s.o.l. So quite enjoying the movie even though it took my neck 30 minutes to "uncrick" afterwards really speaks well of its entertainment factor, don't you think? (FYI, if you're wondering do you have to have seen the tv show to appreciate the movie: I regularly watched the tv show, one of my friends had seen it occassionally, the third saw a few episdoes and my fourth friend had never seen the show ... and we all very much liked the movie.) Verdict: Discount Theatre

No comments: