Friday, April 18, 2008

Street Kings

You know what I hate? One-trick ponies who put on multiple-shows. If you have only one trick, then good for you. Many have none. Be proud. But don’t pretend you have more than one. James Ellroy, who wrote this movie, also wrote L.A. Confidential and Dark Blue. I liked L.A. Confidential very much. I also kinda liked Dark Blue (Kurt Russell and Scott Speedman? Likable). But it wasn’t until I saw Street Kings that I found out James had written all three. And I liked Dark Blue less for that. And I believe I shall relegate Street Kings to the same fate. Completely and wholly on its own, its okay. I like Keanu. I don’t claim the man is a dazzling thespian, but he is what he is and that, I like. But when you start realizing that Street Kings is kinda like L.A. Confidential without the killer (no pun intended) mis en scene and charismatic performances – and then you remember the same guy wrote it? You start to feel kinda suckered. And by you I mean me. Like I said, it’s okay. But I’ve seen it before. And James knows it. Verdict: Movie Rental if you must.

No comments: